international airport

Warsaw Airport…

Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport is located in the Okecie borough of Warsaw, Poland. It was formerly called Okêcie International Airport. Named after Poland’s famous composer Frederic Chopin, it is the country’s largest airport.

The land was used for aviation since 1910, while in 1927 it was decided that Okêcie would become the city’s primary airport. After the completion of technical buildings and the passenger terminal in 1934, the airport took over the handling of all traffic from the Pole Mokotowskie airfield. Except LOT Polish Airlines, Okêcie was also home to four squadrons of the Polish Air force and to aircraft manufacturer Doœwiadczalne Zak³ady Lotnicze.

During WWII the Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport infrastructure was almost completely destroyed. In 1969 a new international terminal was opened; domestic flights continued to operate from the facilities built on the site of the pre-war terminal. The current two story Terminal One was constructed in 1992 to replace the separate domestic and international terminals. The latter has since been mostly torn down with the arrivals hall being adapted in 2003 to form the temporary Etiuda Terminal for low cost carriers.

The construction of a second terminal to deal with rising traffic is currently under way. The combined Terminal 1 (T1) and Terminal 2 (T2) will triple the airport’s capacity and was to be open by spring 2006, but the construction was delayed. Currently (April 2006), opening is tentatively scheduled for summer 2007. There are also plans to move low cost flights to the former military airfield in Modlin north of Warsaw as well as longer-term projects of building a completely new airport to serve the city with Modlin, Sochaczew and Mszczonow being possible locations. Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport has scheduled passenger service to nine domestic and 76 international destinations in Europe, Africa, Asia and North America.

Exit mobile version